Wednesday, January 23, 2013

New York, New York! Pt. 1

We got back from our NYC trip on Sunday night, but I am finally just getting back in my normal routine. Traveling is exhausting no matter what, travelling to somewhere with a time change even more, and since we were in NYC, to say we didn't get much sleep would be an understatement. I'll write this in a couple parts to break it up a little bit, here we go with day 1 and day 2 morning!

Most people know I used to live in NYC when I was going to school. After I graduated the FCI, I decided as much as I loved NYC, I loved Seattle more and decided to move back...but I still missed the excitement Manhattan brought. So I was pretty darn excited when we decided to head back for a visit to see Spencer with John and Steve, exploring old/new things-because let's face it.. there is ALWAYS something new to discover there. It was perfect because our good friend Spencer (who was our officiant at our wedding) had moved to the East Village shortly after I had moved, so we now had somewhere free of charge with a great location to stay at. Even though Spencer has a very spacious studio in NY standards, it was still pretty funny watching 5 adults figure out sleeping space.

Kirk, Steve, and I had gotten in Wednesday night and went to go drop off our stuff at Spencer's. John was patiently waiting since he got there the night prior. We had planned a pretty low key Wednesday night since Spencer still had to go into work the next morning so we settled on dinner and a comedy show.

Spencer had talked about a "unique" burger place in the East Village which sounded pretty yummy. He brought us to Korzo, a delicious place that serves Mittle European comfort food. We walked in and it was a super tiny place, but SO nice. It was full of brick, wood tables, and dimmed lighting. Our server quickly greeted us, and we ordered a pitcher of their house beer. It was technically an ale but was much milder in flavor to me than what I am used to. We all thought it was delicious and went great with our meal. 

 Don't mind Spencer's awkward stare, I was trying to get somewhat of a decent picture of the decor
The boys not paying attention, and also enjoying their Korzo beer. So typical.

The whole table started off with their Klassik Halušky that is petite hand-cut potato spätzle, bryndza (Slovak-style feta cheese), crispy bacon bits, and fresh chives.
I have this problem of going to dark restaurants which than result in poor pictures that don't give justice to the dish. I promise, it was delish.
Kirk and I decided to split their original burger, and I am SO glad we did. It was gigantic. The original has their korzo-blend beef patty, applewood-smoked bacon, allgauer emmentaller cheese, 
korzo organic ale mustard, dill pickle. And as you might be able to tell it is not your typical bun. It is deep fried. But... it's the best deep fried thing ever. Unlike most deep fried foods that make you feel sick after and are super greasy.. this is anything but. It's actually really light. They also have a house beet ketchup that they     serve it with, which was pretty darn good too.
Kirk and I at Korzo...very very full. But happy.

After dinner we took a much needed walk to the Comedy Cellar in the West Village. If you have never heard of Comedy Cellar you MUST go. When I was living in the city I would go weekly for several reasons. One being admission is completely free during the week nights, and two they have AMAZING well known comedians. On two different nights when I was living in NYC and went, they randomly had Chris Rock and Dave Chappelle perform. And with not a bad seat in the house, I don't know what else one could want in a comedy club.
John outside of the Comedy Cellar in my glasses. So. Trendy.

We ended up getting a nice big table right in front of the stage and had some great acts perform. Dave Attell and Judah Friedlander from NBC's 30 Rock was there, along with several other great comedians. Oh Comedy Cellar, you never disappoint.

On Thursday morning, Kirk and I headed off by ourselves to check out some sweet places I wanted to visit.
Our first stop was Payard. We ended up getting our usual order from a bakery: chocolate croissant, eclair, and a macaron. This time we added a ham and cheese croissant too... it just sounded so good.
Ham and cheese flaky wonderful.
Chocolate eclair, and passion fruit macaron.

While everything was delicious it was no where near as good as everything had at Tartine in San Francisco. I am a little snobbish about my pastries, I admit it.

Next we walked down into Soho to find Kee's Chocolates. It was my first time visiting Kee's so I had no idea what to expect. We walked in to a tiny little space with a glass display full of chocolates and macarons. It was very pretty, however they wouldn't let me take pictures. So sad.

We each picked out a chocolate, I had picked passion fruit, and Kirk picked out honey saffron. We also bought a coconut guava macaroon because it was just too pretty to pass up.
Of course, we found the nearest bench and decided it was the perfect time to eat our macaron. It was definitely delicious.

We had meant to find another chocolate shop, but instead got distracted by signs guiding us towards the Brooklyn Bridge. In my entire duration of living in NYC I had never walked on the Brooklyn Bridge (crazy, I know) and Kirk hadn't so we decided it was the perfect time. We were lucky it was so sunny outside, it was gorgeous.
My view from the middle of the bridge looking up.
My pretty Instagram photo of Brooklyn Bridge. SO PRETTY!

After our Brooklyn Bridge adventure, we stopped for a quick bite at The Malt House off of Bleeker Street. They had a great craft beer selection and yummy food. We shared some fish tacos and marched on to a cupcake shop in Greenwich Village called Molly's Cupcakes. We had a decent cupcake and coffee, but what I really loved about their shop was the swings at their bar top!
Cutie husband putting up with my photo craziness.

Pt. 2 to come!
xo









No comments:

Post a Comment