Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Opening a CAKERY!

My oh my, it has been some time since I have written a post, but for good reason. I have been helping open the Hot Cakes Molten Chocolate Cakery!
Autumn's brother hand carved this sign!

Many of you know, but for those who don't, I have been with the Hot Cakes team since last July. I loved what the company stood for so much that I offered to intern while I was working at my other job in pastry, while planning a wedding! It was a very small team consisting of the owner, me, one other girl who would do all the baking, and everything in between. Fast forward a month and a half, and I was offered a position, and made the decision to leave my other job.

Someday Kirk and I really are looking to open our own business, so I was super excited to join Hot Cakes and really see every aspect of a small business! When I started, we were just doing wholesale accounts, farmers markets, and were in the talks of the opening the shop. Being part of such a small team I really have become quite the multitasker! I managed all the wholesale accounts, social media, online orders, coordinate demos, work tradeshows, put labels on caramel sauce jars and oh yes, bake EVERYTHING! Its exactly what I was looking for, its pretty rare to find a place where you can learn so much in so many different areas of a business.

The shop started getting built in late January with an opening date in mid May. SOOO exciting, but so crazy in between. Still did everything I normally do, but I even went and sanded walls, painted the bar, etc. - random random. 

But alas, we opened on Saturday, May 19th! We have been crazy slammed, and while its totally different than the business we knew a couple months ago, everyone is learning and adjusting quickly and it is really, well, AWESOME. We have a pretty all star team... just sayin'

The night before, we hosted a special lil' VIP friends & family only party. Some big names in the Seattle food industry showed up (which I nerded out over) and some special friends, and a really cute husband of mine! 
 Woody handing out cookies :)
 Autumn and Hannah working the line!
 Katie with a bacon josephine and Eric with a grilled chocolate sandwich
 James made it, even though he was on crutches
 Creme brulee with rhubarb jam
 Eric tried....everything
 Brittle with her sammich
Molten Chocolate Cake with whipped cream and cocoa nib brittle

If you want to find out anymore information on this delightful company I work for, check out our website, Get Your Hot Cakes. Or you can read about us in two little articles by the Wall Street Journal or Bon Appetit :)

No comments:

Post a Comment