Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Margarita Time!

Wah, I'm a day late. Please forgive me. This is my new go-to margarita recipe! I wouldn't describe it as a traditional margarita, but if you like freshness, and hate sour mix, this might just work for you too!

The recipe for our Blackberry Citrus Margarita!
Makes: 1 serving, so multiply as needed

1.5 oz Silver Tequila
(Use the good stuff! If you use cheap tequila, you will taste the difference, and your head will suffer the next day)

1/2 oz Lime Juice
1/2 oz Lemon Juice
(Hand squeeze the juice! The freshness brightens the drink and won't give you any of the terrible taste that fake ingredients do which a lot of restaurants/bars use for their margaritas)

1/2 oz Agave Nectar
(Agave Nectar is a natural sweetener. It is sweeter than honey. This is another ingredient you are using instead of that terrible sour mix)

1/2 oz Orange Liqueur
(We were using Grand Marnier)

Splash of OJ
(I would recommend blood orange juice, but anything will work)

3 Blackberries

Splash of Champagne
(This is optional but if you float it on top it adds a little fizz to it which I really liked)

Directions:
  1. Take the blackberries, and agave nectar, and put them together in your cocktail shaker. Muddle them together till the blackberries release their juices.
  2. Add the fresh squeezed juices, orange liqueur, and mix with the blackberries and agave till they blend together
  3. Add in the tequila, splash of OJ, and a lot of ice! Warm mixed drinks are never good...
  4. Now shake! Shake for about ten seconds till all mixed thoroughly
  5. Have your glass filled with ice and pour the cocktail over it. If you want a champagne float, this is the time to add about 1/2" champagne to the top of your drink
  6. All done! Now enjoy :)
Also, I know this is a terrible picture. But sadly after we drank half of them, it was the only time I remembered that it would be cool to post the recipe and that I should take a picture! My friends were rushing me and made fun of me so unfortunately, this is the picture I am showing you. I promise promise it looks much more beautiful full and maybe staged properly ;)

If you want to make it even prettier, you can add a salt/sugar rim and garnish with a whole blackberry or citrus wheel. I like to make flavored salt/sugar mixes and with this I would either recommend a blackberry, or citrus mix.

Sugar/Salt Mixture:

2 Tablespoons KOSHER Salt
(if you have table salt, throw it away, it is terrible and doesn't benefit your food or drinks in anyway.)

2 Tablespoons Sugar

Either:
1 Blackberry
or
Zest of any citrus fruit you prefer

Now this is EASY! All you do is combine them together really, really well! If you are using a blackberry, I would muddle it down before adding to your mix as it will have liquid. If you have a small grinder, those work extremely well.

If any of you try this recipe out, please let me know how you like it! I'm always open to comments/suggestions

and PS) I will re do this picture at some point so it really does the drink some justice! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment