Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Exploring SF. Day 2!

Not going to lie... I definitely just had to look up our San Francisco album to remember what we did on Saturday. It has felt like we have already been home for a week, crazy busy with some exciting news to share in the near future :)

We started our day off at Blue Bottle Coffee. I was super excited for this for the following reasons: 
1. They just had their Parmesan Fennel Shortbread featured in Bon Appetit Magazine, the same article that Hot Cakes was featured in.
2. They really care about their pastries and make their own, instead of sourcing them from many other vendors.
3. The girl who came up with the cookies comes up with unique flavor combos that I love and are totally my style (being completely cardamom obsessed is one of them)
4. During Thanksgiving, Kirk's Cousin Mitch and his girlfriend Raleigh (who live in San Francisco) brought up a whole bunch of varieties of coffee that they brewed for us that were SUPER delicious.
I got my usual latte. Probably in my top three latte's EVER along with Stumptown Roasters & Lighthouse Coffee Roasters
Top: Ginger Molasses Cookie with Black Cardamom & Double-Chocolate Recchiuti Cookie 2: Shortbread with Parmesan and Fennel Bottom: Snickerdoodle with Saffron and Vanilla Bean - Yes we had try all of them for "research"

As you could probably tell, we had a great experience, and I really enjoyed the cookies so I highly recommend if you are in SF (or NYC!) to try their delicious product!

After Blue Bottle, we walked down to the Ferry Building. On Saturday's they have an AMAZING market! Like so amazing that if I lived there, I would fight the tourist crowds and be there every weekend kind of amazing. So many great vendors selling fresh produce, flowers, food trucks, artisan ice creams & cheese, freshly squeezed organic juices - seriously everything. I was so in love, that the only thing I remembered to take out my camera for was a pic of some produce, so enjoy that ;)

After the market, we started on our next walking journey to the Historic District. Seriously so much walking, my feet are still hurting. Anyways, after a quick 30 minute walk we made it to 21st Amendment Brewery. We have been big fans of 21st for a long time! I think the first time a couple years ago at the Portland Brewer's Festival I tried their watermelon beer and was hooked. We got a great seat by the open window and just relaxed!
I had the Mr. Pooms which was a wheat beer, definitely my idea of a perfect beer. I also tried the South Park Blonde which was pretty nice. Kirk started with the Opening Day IPA which is only brewed once a year. I think it is the one in the picture (a VERY light IPA) I also want to say he tried the Amber Waves. Not pictured is Kirk buying a cute little 21st Amendment Brewery T Shirt. I'm definitely a big fan! Oh, and PS. if you read the descriptions of the beer in the picture above you will see they actually have a stout that is brewed with oyster shells! Not my thing, but I found that pretty interesting.

After hours of more exploring (and a nap), we headed to Roam Artisan Burgers. If you know me at all, you know that I take my cheeseburgers VERY seriously and am very picky. Kirk and I split an organic grass-fed beef classic burger with aged white cheddar. I believe getting the "classic" at a place definitely speaks volumes. After one bite of my half, I instantly regretted us not getting our own. So good, and everything tasted super fresh which is sometimes hard to find in burgers. OH and they make their own pickles which happens to be another one of my favorite things. They also make all their sodas in house, so we got a caramelized pineapple soda and Blue Bottle Coffee milkshake to share (which was gone so fast we didn't get a picture.)



After dinner we just walked around the neighborhood (which very much reminded me of Queen Anne in Seattle) and explored some more. We make a quick stop at a little wine bar called Pe Yale, than decided we should make it an early night so we could fit in a full last day. Whew! Till next time :)

No comments:

Post a Comment