Monday, July 2, 2012

DIY Home Updates

Oh goodness.. we have indeed been quite busy since we've moved in our new home! We started jotting down a whole bunch of things we wanted to update around the house that we could easily do ourselves, at a much lower cost.

The first project we did was paint our cabinets with a $75 kit from Home Depot by Rust Oleum. I was super paranoid about doing anything to our cabinets ourselves, since I have seen some really sloppy home projects, but after researching the kit, looking at reviews, and seeing pictures, I got super excited as I spend a lot of my time in the kitchen, and wanted it to feel complete. The kit gives you two options to either just paint your cabinets and leave it (looking like a flat paint color), or to do a final glaze over the color, which changes the color slightly, and gives it the wood grain texture. We had five of us working on the cabinets, and it took us four days. I estimated two, but this is definitely a project that we didn't want to rush. I must say, for $75, I was ECSTATIC with how they turned out!
At this point, we had already removed the doors/drawers, but this will give you a clear idea about the color. It made the floors look really red, and the back splash of chocolate tiles didn't match with the light oak
Voila! We used the color "cocoa" + glaze, and it made the kitchen all come together! If you are looking to update your kitchen cabinets without investing in new ones, I could not recommend this enough, but make sure to not rush the process. Oh, and of course, please don't mind the kitchen counter messiness pre-move ;) 

A few other things we have been working on:

My herb pots!  I bought pots for the herbs I use most frequently, and used some Martha Stewart stencils, and painted them with a simple design with their name. My garden itself needs some more TLC, but I have faith it will all come together soon enough.
Kirk had built this fire pit over this past weekend. In our backyard we have some stairs that lead us down to this little area where there was just wasted space. We thought it'd be perfect to build a fire pit, and it is just lovely and totally adds to the whimsy of our backyard! After tax, all the materials cost $82. Home made s'mores anyone?!

Here's to new adventures! xo

No comments:

Post a Comment